Members of the Magill and Bolam Basal Ganglia Labs attended the 11th International Basal Ganglia Society Meetings (IBAGS) in Eilat, Israel from the 3rd – 7th March 2013. This is a triennial meeting that brings together all leading groups in the field of basal ganglia research. The meeting consisted of daily symposia and poster sessions.
Pete Magill organised a symposium “Small in Number but Strong in Influence: the cell-type-specific contributions of striatal interneurons to local circuit function and beyond” in which Andrew Sharott gave a lecture "Relationships between the activities of identified striatal interneurons and cortical and thalamic afferents in vivo"
Paul Bolam gave a lecture, “Heterogeneity of the anatomical and physiological properties of thalamostriatal neurons arising in the central lateral and parafascicular nuclei of the thalamus” in a symposium entitled “Anatomy and functions of the thalamostriatal systems”.Members of the groups presented the following posters:
- Federica Vinciati, Andrew Sharott, Kouichi C. Nakamura & Peter J. Magill. "In vivo electrophysiological properties of neurochemically-identified striatal neurons in dopamine-intact and Parkinsonian rats"
- Paul D. Dodson, Stephanie Janezic, Richard Wade-Martins, J. Paul Bolam & Peter J. Magill. "Motor impairment, neurodegeneration and altered in vivo firing properties of dopaminergic neurons in a BAC-transgenic mouse model of Parkinson's disease"
- Kouichi C. Nakamura, Andrew Sharott, Nicolas Mallet & Peter J. Magill. "Neuronal activity in the motor thalamus of dopamine-intact and Parkinsonian rats"
- Maria Alger & J. Paul Bolam. "Glutamatergic input to subthalamic nucleus and dopaminergic neurones of the substantia nigra in the rat"
- Icnelia Huerta-Ocampo, Brita Robertson, Sten Grillner & J. Paul Bolam. "Distribution of dopaminergic, GABAergic and glutamatergic innervation of the lamprey striatum"
- Icnelia Huerta-Ocampo, Juan Mena-Segovia & J. Paul Bolam. "Convergence of cortical and thalamic afferents onto individual direct and indirect medium-sized spiny striatal neurons"
- Cristina Martinez-Gonzalez, Judith van Andel, J Paul Bolam & Juan Mena-Segovia. "Divergent motor projections from the pedunculopontine nucleus are differentially regulated in Parkinsonism"
- Eleftheria K. Pissadaki & J. Paul Bolam. "The energy cost of action potential propagation in dopamine neurons: clues to susceptibility in Parkinson’s disease"
- A. S. Souza, D. Dautan, I. Witten, K. Deisseroth, J. P. Bolam, & J. Mena-Segovia. "Functional characterization of the cholinergic modulation of dopamine neurons in the ventral tegmental area"